The Alhambra Theatre in Higher Openshaw, Manchester, England, was designed by the architect H. A, Turner. Intended for use as a music hall, it was opened in 1910 as part of the H. D. Moorhouse Theatre Circuit.
Alloway Kirk and its graveyard provided the setting for Robert Burns’s poem Tam o’ Shanter.
Ancoats Hall was a post-medieval country house built in 1609 in Ancoats, Manchester by Oswald Mosley, a member of the family who were Lords of the Manor of Manchester.
A semicircular or polygonal termination of the chancel, which is typically situated at the eastern end of a Christian church.
Arthington Priory, founded in the mid-12th century, was a nunnery or convent that was home to a community of about ten nuns in Arthington, Yorkshire.
Atherton Hall was a country house and estate in Atherton in Lancashire, England, built between 1723 and 1742
A form of terraced houses in the United Kingdom, each sharing party walls on three of their four sides.
The Barton Aqueduct, designed by James Brindley and opened on 17 July 1761, carried the Bridgewater Canal over the River Irwell at Barton-upon-Irwell, in the historic county of Lancashire, England.
The Barton Swing Aqueduct in Barton upon Irwell, Greater Manchester, England carries the Bridgewater Canal across the Manchester Ship Canal.
A shelter containing one or more bells.
Belmont Hall is an 18th-century country house one mile northwest of the village of Great Budworth, Cheshire, England. It has been in the possession of the Leigh family for more than 200 years.
A type of church seating with enclosed sides
A country house on the north slope of the valley of the River Dearne in West Bretton near Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England.
The Brig o’ Doom is a late medieval bridge in Ayrshire, Scotland, best known as the setting for the final verse of Robert Burns’s poem Tam o’ Shanter.
The Capitol Theatre was a cinema in Didsbury, Manchester later used as television studios by ITV contractor ABC from 1956 to 1968.
A caryatid is a sculpted female figure, usually clad in long robes, serving as an architectural support, taking the place of a column or pillar.
The Chantry Chapel of St Mary the Virgin, usually known as Wakefield Chantry Chapel, is part of the medieval bridge over the River Calder in Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England.
Grade II listed manor house in Chigwell, Essex, owned by the Metropolitan Police Service and serving as it sports and social club.
An active Unitarian place of worship in Atherton, Greater Manchester that was built in 1721.
The Church of St Edward the Confessor is a place of worship in Romford, in the London Borough of Havering, an Anglican church in the Diocese of Chelmsford.
A timber-framed, black-and-white Elizabethan mansion house in Nantwich, Cheshire, England, one of the very few buildings to have survived the Great Fire of Nantwich in 1583.
Estate near Crimond, Aberdeenshire, dating back to the 14th century
Damhouse or Astley Hall is a Grade II* Listed building in Tyldesley but considered to be in Astley, Greater Manchester, England. It has served as a manor house, sanatorium, and, since restoration in 2000, houses offices, a clinic and tearooms.
Denbies is a large estate to the northwest of Dorking in Surrey, England. A farmhouse and surrounding land originally owned by John Denby was purchased in 1734 by Jonathan Tyers, the proprietor of Vauxhall Gardens in London, and converted into a weekend retreat.
Devil’s doors are blocked-up doors in the north wall of a church, once believed to have been an escape route for the Devil when he left a child as a result of the sacrament of baptism.
A stately home on the Dunecht estate in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
An English country house near Altrincham, in Greater Manchester, surrounded by historic formal gardens and a deer park. Built in the early 18th century by the Earls of Warrington, passing to the Earls of Stamford by inheritance, it has been owned by the National Trust since the death of the 10th and last Earl of Stamford in 1976.
A series of 12 crosses, one built at each place where the funeral cortège of Eleanor of Castile, wife of King Edward I, stopped for the night.
Redirected to St Mary the Virgin’s Church, Ellenbrook.
Historic ruined castle remains, formerly Fortalice of Ardgith, focal point within a formal walled garden in Ellon
A mansion house that forms the centrepiece of the Forglen estate in the parish of Forglen, northwest of Turriff, Aberdeenshire, in the northeast of Scotland.
An English theatre architect and designer, responsible for the design and construction of more than ninety theatres and the redesign and refurbishment of a further eighty throughout the United Kingdom.
The Free Trade Hall in Peter Street, Manchester, England, was a public hall constructed in 1853–1856 on St Peter’s Fields, the site of the Peterloo Massacre, and is now a Radisson hotel.
Garrett Hall or the Garrett is a former manor house and now a grade II listed farmhouse in Tyldesley, Greater Manchester, England.
Great Moreton Hall is a former country house in Moreton cum Alcumlow near Congleton, in Cheshire, England, less than a mile (1.6 km) from its better-known near namesake Little Moreton Hall.
A historic country house in Haigh, near Wigan in Greater Manchester England.
The Hanging Bridge is a medieval structure spanning the Hanging Ditch, which connected the rivers Irk and Irwell in Manchester, England, part of the city’s medieval defences.
The Hulme Arch Bridge in Hulme, Manchester, England, supports Stretford Road as it passes over Princess Road, part of the regeneration of that area of Manchester.
A former cavalry barracks in Hulme, Manchester, now converted into flats.
Hulme Hall was a half-timbered manor house on the banks of the River Irwell in Manchester, demolished in about 1840.
James Caldwell Prestwich (1852–1940) was an English architect. He was born in Atherton, Lancashire and educated at Leigh and Nantwich Grammar Schools.
ervaulx Abbey is a ruined Cistercian monastery and scheduled monument to the south of the River Ure, about one and a half miles (2.4 km) east of East Witton in Wensleydale, North Yorkshire. An abbey was originally founded at Fors near the River Ure not far from Aysgarth further up the valley in 1145, but
John Smith (1781 – 22 July 1852) was a Scottish architect who contributed significantly to the architecture of Aberdeen.
A medieval nunnery associated with the legend of the death of Robin Hood.
Leonard Cecil Howitt (1896–1964) – often referred to as L. C. Howitt – served in both World Wars and was Manchester City Council’s chief architect from 1946 until his retirement in 1961.
A structure close to the refectory of a monastery, providing washing facilities.
Leeds has four Victorian shopping arcades built between 1878 and 1904. They are all listed buildings and still in use.
Leigh Town Hall stands facing the parish church across the Civic Square at its junction with Market Street in Leigh, Greater Manchester, England. It was designed for the Municipal Borough of Leigh by James Caldwell Prestwich, who had an architectural practice in the town.
Little Moreton Hall is a moated half-timbered manor house 4.5 miles (7.2 km) southwest of Congleton in Cheshire, England.
Longford Cinema, opposite Stretford Mall on the eastern side of the A56 Chester Road, is perhaps the most visually striking building in the town.
Roofed-over gateway into a churchyard.
Lytham Pier, a pleasure and working pier, was opened in the seaside town of Lytham, Lancashire, England in 1865, in the face of reservations from local residents. The pier underwent several renovations during the 1890s and early 1900s before being badly damaged by a storm in 1903. It was demolished in 1960.
The Manchester Royal Exchange, on the land bounded by St Ann’s Square, Exchange Street, Market Street, Cross Street and Old Bank Street comprises the Royal Exchange Theatre and the Royal Exchange Shopping Centre.
A footbridge across the River Cam in Cambridge, England, connecting two parts of Queens’ College, built using seven shorter lengths of straight timber to form an arch.
A wooden ledge on the underside of a folding seat in a church, intended to support a member of the congregation while standing.
Morleys Hall, a moated hall converted into two houses on the edge of Astley Moss in Astley, Greater Manchester, England, was largely rebuilt in the 19th century on the site of a medieval timber house.
Central part of a church, used by the laiety.
Palladian-style country house built near the site of a 12th-century Augustinian priory.
An early form of suspension bridge design.
Ordsall Hall is a large former manor house in the historic parish of Ordsall, Lancashire, England, now part of the City of Salford, in Greater Manchester.
Percy Bond Houfton (1873–1926) was a late 19th and early 20th-century English architect.
A phantasmagoria is a ghost show developed by the impresario Paul de Philipsthal, also known as Philidor.
A piano nobile, from the Italian meaning noble or grand floor, is the main floor of a Palladian or Georgian building.
A rare example of a large-scale cloth hall – an exchange for trading woollen and worsted cloth “pieces” – that is largely intact.
The Pitfour estate, in the Buchan area of north-east Scotland, was purchased in 1700 by James Ferguson of Badifurrow, who became the first Laird of Pitfour.
The estate was substantially renovated by him and the following two generations of his family. At the height of its development in the 18th and 19th centuries the property had several extravagant features including a two-mile racecourse, an artificial lake and an observatory.
A porte-cochère, from the French meaning “coach door”, also known as a coach gate or carriage porch, is a covered porch-like structure at a main or secondary entrance to a building that gives access to a vehicle while providing arriving and departing occupants with protection from the elements.
Any external angle or corner of a structure.
Red House was built in 1660 by William Taylor, whose descendants owned it until 1920. The Taylor family were farmers and clothiers, who developed their business into cloth finishing and became merchants.
A country house to the west of Renishaw village in Derbyshire England, home to the Sitwell since the early 17th century.
A large ornamented wall, screen, or other structure placed behind the altar in a Christian church.
An active Anglican parish church and Grade II listed building in Rivington, Lancashire
A Grade II* listed former manor house in Rivington, Lancashire, England, the successor to a 15th-century building that was built near to the present building.
An active place of Unitarian worship in Rivington, Lancashire whose congregation dates from 1662 but the stone not built until 1703.
Sharston Hall was a manor house built in Sharston, an area of Wythenshawe, Manchester, England, in 1701.
Sicilian Baroque is the distinctive form of Baroque architecture which evolved on the island of Sicily, off the southern coast of Italy, in the 17th and 18th centuries, when it was part of the Spanish Empire. The style is recognisable by its typical Baroque curves and flourishes, its grinning masks and putti, and a particular flamboyance that has given Sicily a unique architectural identity.
Smithills Hall in Bolton, Greater Manchester, is one of the oldest manor houses in the northwest of England, dating in parts from the 15th century.
Southport Pier is a pleasure pier in Southport, Merseyside, England. Opened in August 1860, it is the oldest iron pier in the country.
The roughly triangular space above and on either side of an arch.
A Waterloo church dedicated to St George completed in 1825 to serve the growing township of Tyldesley cum Shakerley.
Anglican parish Church in Atherton, Greater Manchester designed by Paley and Ausin and completed in 1896
An active church in Mosley Common that was built in 1886.
A designated Grade 1 listed building and an active Anglican parish church in Holmes Chapel, Cheshire East, dating from about 1430.
An active Anglican parish church in Worsley, Greater Manchester with an unusual thirteen-striking clock.
An active Anglican church of ancient foundation.
St Mary’s Church in Leigh was the ancient parish church that served six townships.
An active Anglican church in Perranarworthal dedicated to Cornwall’s patron saint.
The parish church in Astley, Greater Manchester was built in 1968 after its predecessor was destroyed by arson.
Stanley Ferry Aqueduct was the world’s largest cast-iron aqueduct when it was built between 1837 and 1839.
Stretford Public Hall was built in 1878 by John Rylands.
Thomas Hayton Mawson (1861–1933) was an early 20-century garden designer, landscape architect and town planner.
Tickle Cock Bridge is a pedestrian underpass in Castleford, England, under a railway line originally built by the York and North Midland Railway between York and Normanton.
A timber roof truss is a structural framework of timbers designed to bridge the space above a room and to provide support for a roof.
Timperley Hall was a moated manor house in Timperley, Greater Manchester, England, first recorded in 1560, but almost certainly built to replace an earlier medieval structure.
Tin tabernacles are prefabricated ecclesiastical buildings made from corrugated galvanised iron. They were developed in the mid 19th century initially in Great Britain and built in Britain and exported across the world.
Trafford Town Hall was officially opened as Stretford Town Hall on the granting of Stretford’s charter on 16 September 1933.
A former manor house incorporating a pele tower in Turton, Lancashire.
Tyldesley Little Theatre is a small “back street” theatre in Lemon Street, Tyldesley, Greater Manchester, England.
In the 18th and 19th centuries body-snatchers, also known as resurrectionists, shush-lifters or noddies, excavated graves to meet the increasing demand from medical colleges for bodies to dissect, as not enough were being supplied from executions.
The Victoria Tower on Castle Hill overlooking Huddersfield was constructed as a permanent memorial for Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.
Waddow Hall is a 17th-century Grade II listed building within a 178-acre (72 ha) estate near Clitheroe, Lancashire.
A privately owned statutory tolled undertaking which incorporates a public highway road length, one of the few remaining pre-motorway toll bridges in the UK.
Bridge crossing the River Dee in Aberdeen, northeast Scotland
Wigan Pier is an area around the Leeds and Liverpool Canal in Wigan, Greater Manchester, England, a wharf where coal from a nearby colliery was transferred from wagons into canal barges via an iron tippler. It was demolished in 1929.
Worsley’s third manor house, New Hall was built in 1846 to designs by Edward Blore for Francis Egerton, 1st Earl of Ellesmere.
Wythenshawe Hall is a 16th-century medieval timber-framed historic house and former manor house in Wythenshawe, Manchester, England.