The bitter and violent Lancashire miners’ strike of 1881 lasted for seven weeks, but ended with no resolution.
Andrew Knowles and Sons was a coal mining company that operated on the Manchester Coalfield in and around Clifton, in the historic county of Lancashire, England.
The Astley and Tyldesley Collieries Company was formed in 1900. It became part of Manchester Collieries in 1929, and some of its collieries were nationalised in 1947.
Bank Hall Colliery was a coal mine near the Leeds and Liverpool Canal in Burnley, Lancashire.
The Battle of Howe Bridge took place on 4 February 1881 against the background of an acrimonious strike by 50,000 miners from pits on the Lancashire coalfield that was characterised by mobs of miners picketing working pits.
The Bedford Colliery disaster occurred on Friday 13 August 1886 when an explosion of firedamp caused the death of thirty-eight miners at Bedford No.2 Pit in Leigh, on the Lancashire Coalfield.
Boothstown Mines Rescue Station, which served the collieries of the Lancashire and Cheshire Coal Owners on the Lancashire Coalfield, opened in November 1933 on a site in Boothstown, close to the East Lancashire Road (A580).
Bradford Colliery was a coal mine in Bradford, Manchester, England.
Bradford Colliery Brickworks operated on the site of the Bradford Colliery in Bradford, Greater Manchester, then in the historic county of Lancashire, England,
A coal mining company on the Lancashire Coalfield with headquarters in Walkden near Manchester.
Burning wells were a phenomenon known in the area around Wigan in Lancashire from at least the 17th century.
The Burnley Coalfield surrounding Burnley, Nelson, Blackburn and Accrington, is the most northerly portion of the Lancashire Coalfield.
Caphouse Colliery was a coal mine in Overton, near Wakefield, West Yorkshire, now the National Coal Mining Museum for England.
Pit sunk around 1820 by the Bridgewater Trustees that was connected to the Bridgewater Canal at Boothstown Basin by an underground canal.
Cleworth Hall Colliery on the Lancashire Coalfield operated between 1880 and 1963 in Tyldesley, Lancashire, England.
This is a partial glossary of common coal mining terms used in the United Kingdom. Some words were in use throughout the coalfields, some are historic and others are local to the different British coalfields.
Combermere Colliery was sunk by the Tyldesley Coal Company on the Manchester Coalfield after 1867 in Shakerley, Tyldesley in Lancashire, England.
Damps is the collective name given to all gases other than air found in coal mines in Great Britain. The chief pollutants are carbon dioxide and methane, known as blackdamp and firedamp respectively.
Dorothy Legh (1565–1639) born Dorothy Egerton, also Dorothy Brereton, Lady of the Manor of Worsley, was a coal owner and benefactor of Ellenbrook Chapel near her home in Worsley, Lancashire.
Edward Ormerod (2 May 1834 – 26 May 1894) was an English mining engineer and inventor who worked at Gibfield Colliery in Atherton, Lancashire where he devised and tested his safety device, the Ormerod safety link or detaching hook.
Ellesmere Colliery in Walkden, on the Lancashire Coalfield, was sunk in 1865 by the Bridgewater Trustees. Production ended in 1923.
A steam-driven Newcomen-type atmospheric pumping engine still in its original engine house at Elsecar near Barnsley. Designed by John Bargh of Chesterfield, the engine, is based on one invented by Thomas Newcomen in 1712.
Emma Lister-Kaye (1825–1905) was a colliery owner in Overton near Wakefield in the West Riding of Yorkshire from 1871 until 1905.
Fairbottom Bobs, an 18th-century Newcomen-type beam engine, was used to pump water from a coal pit near Ashton-under-Lyne, is probably the world’s second-oldest surviving steam engine.
Fletcher, Burrows & Company owned collieries and cotton mills in Atherton in northwest England. Gibfield, Howe Bridge and Chanters Collieries exploited the coal seams of the Middle Coal Measures in the Manchester Coalfield.
The Forest of Dean in west Gloucestershire contains one of the smaller coalfields in the British Isles which for hundreds of years was regulated by a system of freemining.
Gin Pit was a colliery that operated on the Lancashire Coalfield from the 1840s in Tyldesley Lancashire, England.
Great Boys Colliery in Tyldesley was a coal mine operating on the Manchester Coalfield in the second half of the 19th century in Lancashire, England.
The Great Haigh Sough is a tunnel or adit driven under Sir Roger Bradshaigh’s Haigh Hall estate between 1653 and 1670, to drain his coal and cannel pits.
Haydock Collieries comprised several pits, some started in the 18th century, on land owned by the Leghs of Lyme around Haydock on the Lancashire Coalfield in north-west England.
Howe Bridge Mines Rescue Station, the first on the Lancashire Coalfield, opened in 1908 in Lovers Lane Howe Bridge, Atherton, Lancashire, England.
The Hulton Colliery Company operated on the Lancashire Coalfield from the mid-19th century in Over Hulton and Westhoughton, Lancashire.
The Huskar Pit disaster occurred on 4 July 1838 when twenty-six boys and girls who were working underground were drowned by an overflowing stream.
John Blenkinsop (1783 – 22 January 1831) was a mining engineer at Charles Brandling’s Middleton Collieries who patented a rack and pinion system for a steam locomotive and commissioned the first practical railway locomotive from Fenton, Murray and Wood’s Round Foundry in Holbeck, Leeds in 1811.
The Lancashire and Cheshire Coalfield in North West England was one of the most important British coalfields. Its coal seams were formed from the vegetation of tropical swampy forests in the Carboniferous period more than 300 million years ago.
The Lancashire and Cheshire Miners Permanent Relief Society (LCMPRS) was a form of friendly society started in 1872 to provide financial assistance to miners who were unable to work after being injured in industrial accidents in collieries on the Lancashire Coalfield.
The Lancashire and Cheshire Miners’ Federation (LCMF) was a trade union founded in the aftermath of a bitter, violent seven-week strike in 1881.
The Manchester Coalfield is part of the Lancashire Coalfield. Some easily accessible seams were worked on a small scale from the Middle Ages, and extensively from the beginning of the Industrial Revolution until the last quarter of the 20th century.
Manchester Collieries was a coal mining company with headquarters in Walkden, Lancashire that was formed in 1929 by the merger of a group of independent companies operating on the Manchester Coalfield.
Boats built to transport coal from the Duke of Bridgewater’s pits in Worsley
The Mines and Collieries Act 1842 (5 & 6 Vict. c. 99), usually known as the Mines Act 1842 is an act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that prohibited all females and boys under ten years of age from working underground in coal mines.
Mines rescue is the specialised job of rescuing miners and others who have become trapped or injured in underground mines because of accidents, roof falls or floods and disasters such as explosions caused by firedamp.
Mining disasters in Lancashire in which five or more people were killed occurred most frequently in the 1850s, 1860s and 1870s.
The National Coal Board (NCB) was the statutory corporation created to run the coal mining industry in the United Kingdom under the Coal Industry Nationalisation Act 1946.
New Bolsover is a model village adjoining the town of Bolsover in Derbyshire, built by the local colliery company to house its workers.
New Lester Colliery on the Manchester Coalfield was opened after 1872 by James and William Roscoe in Tyldesley, Lancashire, England.
Nook Colliery or Nook Pit was a coal mine on the Manchester Coalfield after 1866 in Tyldesley, Lancashire, England.
Nostell Colliery on the South Yorkshire Coalfield, about four and a half miles south east of Wakefield was on the Nostell Priory estate.
Pendleton Colliery operated on the Manchester Coalfield from the late 1820s. It was a major employer but was subject to water ingress, which ultimately bankrupted its owner.
The Pendleton Fault, sometimes called the Irwell Valley Fault, stretches for about 20 miles (32 km) from Bolton in Greater Manchester in the north along the Irwell Valley through Pendleton and south to Poynton in Cheshire.
Pit brow women were female surface labourers at British collieries. They worked at the coal screens on the pit brow (pit bank) at the shaft top until the 1960s. Their job was to pick stones and sort the coal after it was hauled to the surface.
Ramsden’s Shakerley Collieries was a coal mining company operating from the mid-19th century in Shakerley, Tyldesley in Lancashire, England.
Robert Daglish (1779–1865) was a colliery manager, mining, mechanical and civil engineer at the start of the railway era.
Robert Isherwood (1845–1905) was a miner’s agent, local councillor and the first treasurer of the Lancashire and Cheshire Miners’ Federation.
A colliery on the South Yorkshire Coalfield at Grange Moor in West Yorkshire, between Wakefield and Huddersfield on the A642 road.
St George’s Colliery, known locally as Back o’t’ Church, was a coal mine on the Manchester Coalfield that was sunk in 1866 in Tyldesley, Lancashire, England.
Redirected to Mine boat.
The Walking Horse, Lancashire’s first steam locomotive, was built by Robert Daglish in 1812 at the Haigh Foundry for colliery owner, John Clarke and it entered service the following year.
Tyldesley Coal Company was formed in 1870 in Tyldesley, on the Manchester Coalfield in the historic county of Lancashire, England.
Wharton Hall Colliery was in Little Hulton on the Lancashire Coalfield in Lancashire, north west England.
The earliest extant example of dry docks on Britain’s canals.
An extensive network of underground canals that drained the Duke of Bridgewater’s coal pits emerge into the open at the Delph in Worsley, Greater Manchester.
Yew Tree Colliery was a coal mine operating on the Manchester Coalfield after 1845 in Tyldesley, which was then in the historic county of Lancashire, England.