Ancoats Hall was a post-medieval country house built in 1609 in Ancoats, Manchester by Oswald Mosley, a member of the family who were Lords of the Manor of Manchester.
Andrew Knowles and Sons was a coal mining company that operated on the Manchester Coalfield in and around Clifton, in the historic county of Lancashire, England.
Astley and Bedford Mosses are areas of peat bog south of the Bridgewater Canal and north of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway in Astley and Bedford, Leigh, England.
The Astley and Tyldesley Collieries Company was formed in 1900. It became part of Manchester Collieries in 1929, and some of its collieries were nationalised in 1947.
Atherton Hall was a country house and estate in Atherton in Lancashire, England, built between 1723 and 1742
Atherton Urban District was from 1894 to 1974 a local government district in Lancashire, England.
Barnfield Mills, locally known as ”Caleb Wright’s”, was a complex of six cotton spinning mills on either side of Union Street in Tyldesley.
Barrow Bridge is a model village started by John and Robert Lord who built a cotton mill next to the Dean Brook in the north-west outskirts of Bolton in Greater Manchester, England.
The Barton Aqueduct, designed by James Brindley and opened on 17 July 1761, carried the Bridgewater Canal over the River Irwell at Barton-upon-Irwell, in the historic county of Lancashire, England.
The Barton Swing Aqueduct in Barton upon Irwell, Greater Manchester, England carries the Bridgewater Canal across the Manchester Ship Canal.
The Battle of Howe Bridge took place on 4 February 1881 against the background of an acrimonious strike by 50,000 miners from pits on the Lancashire coalfield that was characterised by mobs of miners picketing working pits.
Belle Vue Zoological Gardens was a large zoo, amusement park, exhibition hall complex and speedway stadium in Belle Vue, Manchester, England, opened in 1836.
Blackstone Edge is a gritstone escarpment at 1,549 feet above sea level in the South Pennine hills.
Boggart Hole Clough is a large woodland area and country park in Greater Manchester, what remains of an ancient woodland.
Boothstown Mines Rescue Station, which served the collieries of the Lancashire and Cheshire Coal Owners on the Lancashire Coalfield, opened in November 1933 on a site in Boothstown, close to the East Lancashire Road (A580).
Bradford Colliery was a coal mine in Bradford, Manchester, England.
Bradford Colliery Brickworks operated on the site of the Bradford Colliery in Bradford, Greater Manchester, then in the historic county of Lancashire, England,
A coal mining company on the Lancashire Coalfield with headquarters in Walkden near Manchester.
Burning wells were a phenomenon known in the area around Wigan in Lancashire from at least the 17th century.
The Capitol Theatre was a cinema in Didsbury, Manchester later used as television studios by ITV contractor ABC from 1956 to 1968.
Carrington Moss is a large area of peat bog near Carrington in Greater Manchester, England. Originally an area of grouse moorland, it was reclaimed in the latter half of the 19th for farming and the disposal of Manchester’s waste.
Pit sunk around 1820 by the Bridgewater Trustees that was connected to the Bridgewater Canal at Boothstown Basin by an underground canal.
Chat Moss is a large area of peat bog that makes up 30 per cent of the City of Salford, in Greater Manchester, England.
An active Unitarian place of worship in Atherton, Greater Manchester that was built in 1721.
Cleworth Hall Colliery on the Lancashire Coalfield operated between 1880 and 1963 in Tyldesley, Lancashire, England.
Combermere Colliery was sunk by the Tyldesley Coal Company on the Manchester Coalfield after 1867 in Shakerley, Tyldesley in Lancashire, England.
The nickname given to Manchester, the world’s first industrial city, a metropolis centred on cotton trading.
Damhouse or Astley Hall is a Grade II* Listed building in Tyldesley but considered to be in Astley, Greater Manchester, England. It has served as a manor house, sanatorium, and, since restoration in 2000, houses offices, a clinic and tearooms.
One of several villages in the Saddleworth parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham, in Greater Manchester
Dovestone and its associated reservoirs occupy the valleys of the Greenfield and Chew Brooks above the village of Greenfield, on Saddleworth Moor in Greater Manchester.
Edward Ormerod (2 May 1834 – 26 May 1894) was an English mining engineer and inventor who worked at Gibfield Colliery in Atherton, Lancashire where he devised and tested his safety device, the Ormerod safety link or detaching hook.
Ellesmere Colliery in Walkden, on the Lancashire Coalfield, was sunk in 1865 by the Bridgewater Trustees. Production ended in 1923.
Fairbottom Bobs, an 18th-century Newcomen-type beam engine, was used to pump water from a coal pit near Ashton-under-Lyne, is probably the world’s second-oldest surviving steam engine.
Fletcher, Burrows & Company owned collieries and cotton mills in Atherton in northwest England. Gibfield, Howe Bridge and Chanters Collieries exploited the coal seams of the Middle Coal Measures in the Manchester Coalfield.
The Free Trade Hall in Peter Street, Manchester, England, was a public hall constructed in 1853–1856 on St Peter’s Fields, the site of the Peterloo Massacre, and is now a Radisson hotel.
Garrett Hall or the Garrett is a former manor house and now a grade II listed farmhouse in Tyldesley, Greater Manchester, England.
George Marsh, a Protestant priest who became a martyr, was born in the parish of Deane near Bolton in 1515. He died at Boughton, Chester, on 24 April 1555 as a result of the Marian Persecutions during the reign of Queen Mary I.
Gin Pit was a colliery that operated on the Lancashire Coalfield from the 1840s in Tyldesley Lancashire, England.
Great Boys Colliery in Tyldesley was a coal mine operating on the Manchester Coalfield in the second half of the 19th century in Lancashire, England.
The Great Haigh Sough is a tunnel or adit driven under Sir Roger Bradshaigh’s Haigh Hall estate between 1653 and 1670, to drain his coal and cannel pits.
Haigh Hall is a historic country house in Haigh, near Wigan in Greater Manchester England.
The Hanging Bridge is a medieval structure spanning the Hanging Ditch, which connected the rivers Irk and Irwell in Manchester, England, part of the city’s medieval defences.
Hollingworth Lake was built as the main water source for the Rochdale Canal.
A suburb of Atherton in Greater Manchester, built as a model mining village in the 1870s by the Fletchers
Howe Bridge Mines Rescue Station, the first on the Lancashire Coalfield, opened in 1908 in Lovers Lane Howe Bridge, Atherton, Lancashire, England.
The Hulme Arch Bridge in Hulme, Manchester, England, supports Stretford Road as it passes over Princess Road, part of the regeneration of that area of Manchester.
Hulme Hall was a half-timbered manor house on the banks of the River Irwell in Manchester, demolished in about 1840.
The Hulton Colliery Company operated on the Lancashire Coalfield from the mid-19th century in Over Hulton and Westhoughton, Lancashire.
Irlam is a built-up area in the City of Salford, Greater Manchester, England,lying on flat ground on the south side of the M62 motorway and the north bank of the Manchester Ship Canal.
The Kenyon and Leigh Junction Railway (K&LJR) opened on 3 January 1831 linking the Bolton and Leigh Railway (B&LR), which terminated near the Leigh Branch of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, to the Liverpool and Manchester Railway (L&MR) at Kenyon.
Leigh Spinners or Leigh Mill is a Grade II* listed double cotton spinning mill near the Bridgewater Canal in Bedford, Leigh, England.
Leigh Town Hall stands facing the parish church across the Civic Square at its junction with Market Street in Leigh, Greater Manchester, England. It was designed for the Municipal Borough of Leigh by James Caldwell Prestwich, who had an architectural practice in the town.
Longford Cinema, opposite Stretford Mall on the eastern side of the A56 Chester Road, is perhaps the most visually striking building in the town.
Magee Marshall & Company operated from the Crown Brewery in Bolton, Lancashire, England from 1888 until being taken over by Greenall Whitley in 1958.
The Manchester Blitz (also known as the Christmas Blitz) was the heavy bombing of the city of Manchester and its surrounding areas in North West England during the Second World War by the Nazi German Luftwaffe.
The Manchester Coalfield is part of the Lancashire Coalfield. Some easily accessible seams were worked on a small scale from the Middle Ages, and extensively from the beginning of the Industrial Revolution until the last quarter of the 20th century.
The Manchester Free Library opened on 5 September 1852 in Manchester, England. It was the first to be set up under the provisions of the Public Libraries Act 1850, which allowed local authorities to impose a local tax of one penny to pay for the service.
Hannah Beswick (1688 – February 1758), of Birchin Bower, Hollinwood, Oldham, Lancashire, was a wealthy woman who had a pathological fear of premature burial. Following her death in 1758 her body was embalmed and kept above ground, to be periodically checked for signs of life.
The Manchester Royal Exchange, on the land bounded by St Ann’s Square, Exchange Street, Market Street, Cross Street and Old Bank Street comprises the Royal Exchange Theatre and the Royal Exchange Shopping Centre.
The Manchester Zoological Gardens opened in 1838, on a 15-acre (6 ha) site between Broom Lane and Northumberland Street in Broughton, now in Salford, England.
Mather Lane Mills was a complex of cotton mills built by the Bridgewater Canal in Bedford, Leigh in Lancashire, England.
Morleys Hall, a moated hall converted into two houses on the edge of Astley Moss in Astley, Greater Manchester, England, was largely rebuilt in the 19th century on the site of a medieval timber house.
The Municipal Borough of Leigh, a local government district in Lancashire, England, was created in 1899 and abolished in 1974.
The Municipal Borough of Stretford was created in 1933 and abolished in 1974. The area it controlled is now part of the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford in Greater Manchester.
New Hall moat is a scheduled monument in Tyldesley, Greater Manchester, England. The monument includes a moat and an island platform on which a modern house has been built.
New Lester Colliery on the Manchester Coalfield was opened after 1872 by James and William Roscoe in Tyldesley, Lancashire, England.
Nico Ditch is a linear earthwork between Ashton-under-Lyne and Stretford in Greater Manchester, England.
Nook Colliery or Nook Pit was a coal mine on the Manchester Coalfield after 1866 in Tyldesley, Lancashire, England.
Ordsall Hall is a large former manor house in the historic parish of Ordsall, Lancashire, England, now part of the City of Salford, in Greater Manchester.
Pendleton Colliery operated on the Manchester Coalfield from the late 1820s. It was a major employer but was subject to water ingress, which ultimately bankrupted its owner.
A lake formed by mining subsidence in Leigh, Greater Manchester, the largest body of open water in Wigan.
A French Impressionist painter who taught at the Manchester School of Art from 1906 until 1920.
The Port of Manchester in North West England was created as a customs port on 1 January 1894 and closed in 1982.
Ramsden’s Shakerley Collieries was a coal mining company operating from the mid-19th century in Shakerley, Tyldesley in Lancashire, England.
A civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham in Greater Manchester that was in Yorkshire until government reorganisation in 1974.
Sharston Hall was a manor house built in Sharston, an area of Wythenshawe, Manchester, England, in 1701.
Smithills Hall in Bolton, Greater Manchester, is one of the oldest manor houses in the northwest of England, dating in parts from the 15th century.
A Waterloo church dedicated to St George completed in 1825 to serve the growing township of Tyldesley cum Shakerley.
St George’s Colliery, known locally as Back o’t’ Church, was a coal mine on the Manchester Coalfield that was sunk in 1866 in Tyldesley, Lancashire, England.
Anglican parish Church in Atherton, Greater Manchester designed by Paley and Ausin and completed in 1896
An active church in Mosley Common that was built in 1886.
An active Anglican parish church in Worsley, Greater Manchester with an unusual thirteen-striking clock.
St Mary’s Church in Leigh was the ancient parish church that served six townships.
The parish church in Astley, Greater Manchester was built in 1968 after its predecessor was destroyed by arson.
Standedge has been a major Pennine crossing point for more than 2,000 years.
Stretford Public Hall was built in 1878 by John Rylands.
The Walking Horse, Lancashire’s first steam locomotive, was built by Robert Daglish in 1812 at the Haigh Foundry for colliery owner, John Clarke and it entered service the following year.
Sir Thomas Tyldesley (1612 – 25 August 1651) was a supporter of Charles I and a Royalist commander during the English Civil War.
Timperley Hall was a moated manor house in Timperley, Greater Manchester, England, first recorded in 1560, but almost certainly built to replace an earlier medieval structure.
Trafford Ecology Park is a designated Site of Biological Importance and Local Nature Reserve in Trafford, Greater Manchester.
Tyldesley Little Theatre is a small “back street” theatre in Lemon Street, Tyldesley, Greater Manchester, England.
The Tyldesley Loopline, built by the London and North Western Railway, was primarily used to carry coal from local collieries. Closed in 1969, part of the track bed has been converted to a guided busway.
Tyldesley cum Shakerley Urban District and its successor, Tyldesley Urban District. was from 1894 to 1974 a local government district in Lancashire, England. In 1974 the urban district was abolished and its former area was transfered to the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan in Greater Manchester.
A series of bricked-up arches in an embankment of the River Irwell in Manchester. They served as business premises, landing stages for steam packet riverboats and as Second World War air-raid shelters.
Wallsuches Bleachworks takes its name from an area of Horwich in Greater Manchester, England. The area is notable for the bleachworks started by Thomas Ridgway.
Wharton Hall Colliery was in Little Hulton on the Lancashire Coalfield in Lancashire, north west England.
The high point of Rivington Moor in the West Pennine Moors is 1,496 feet high and has been the site of mining, a mass trespass, aeroplane disasters and murder.
The earliest extant example of dry docks on Britain’s canals.
An extensive network of underground canals that drained the Duke of Bridgewater’s coal pits emerge into the open at the Delph in Worsley, Greater Manchester.
Worsley’s third manor house, New Hall was built in 1846 to designs by Edward Blore for Francis Egerton, 1st Earl of Ellesmere.
Worthington Hall is an Elizabethan farm house on Chorley Lane in Wigan, Manchester, England. An inscription on a lintel in the gabled porch dates the building to 1577.
Yew Tree Colliery was a coal mine operating on the Manchester Coalfield after 1845 in Tyldesley, which was then in the historic county of Lancashire, England.