A sparsely populated civil parish near Chorley in Lancashire with no village, just scattered farms and the hamlet of White Coppice.
Atherton Urban District was from 1894 to 1974 a local government district in Lancashire, England.
Bank Hall Colliery was a coal mine near the Leeds and Liverpool Canal in Burnley, Lancashire.
The Burnley Coalfield surrounding Burnley, Nelson, Blackburn and Accrington, is the most northerly portion of the Lancashire Coalfield.
Cheetham Close, a hill in the West Pennine Moors above Turton in Lancashire, is the site of an ancient stone circle.
Ellesmere Colliery in Walkden, on the Lancashire Coalfield, was sunk in 1865 by the Bridgewater Trustees. Production ended in 1923.
An ironworks and foundry in Haigh near Wigan that was notable for the manufacture of steam engines.
Haydock Collieries comprised several pits, some started in the 18th century, on land owned by the Leghs of Lyme around Haydock on the Lancashire Coalfield in north-west England.
Hannah Beswick (1688 – February 1758), of Birchin Bower, Hollinwood, Oldham, Lancashire, was a wealthy woman who had a pathological fear of premature burial. Following her death in 1758 her body was embalmed and kept above ground, to be periodically checked for signs of life.
Mining disasters in Lancashire in which five or more people were killed occurred most frequently in the 1850s, 1860s and 1870s.
The Municipal Borough of Leigh, a local government district in Lancashire, England, was created in 1899 and abolished in 1974.
The Municipal Borough of Stretford was created in 1933 and abolished in 1974. The area it controlled is now part of the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford in Greater Manchester.
Noon Hill is an area of the West Pennine Moors in North West England. At its summit is a Bronze Age burial mound.
Peg o’ Nell is the malevolent water spirit of the River Ribble in Lancashire.
Rivington is a village in the Borough of Chorley, to the northwest of Bolton on the fringe of the West Pennine Moors.
An active Anglican parish church and Grade II listed building in Rivington, Lancashire
Rivington Gardens cover about 45 acres of the steep west-facing slopes of Rivington Moor at the edge of the West Pennine Moors in Lancashire.
A Grade II* listed former manor house in Rivington, Lancashire, England, the successor to a 15th-century building that was built near to the present building.
A hill summit on Winter Hill, part of the West Pennine Moors, overlooking the village of Rivington in Lancashire, England.
The Rivington Reservoir Chain, or Rivington Pike Scheme, was built for Liverpool Corporation Waterworks between 1850 and 1857 by Thomas Hawksley.
An active place of Unitarian worship in Rivington, Lancashire whose congregation dates from 1662 but the stone not built until 1703.
Thomas Hayton Mawson (1861–1933) was an early 20-century garden designer, landscape architect and town planner.
A former manor house incorporating a pele tower in Turton, Lancashire.
Tyldesley cum Shakerley Urban District and its successor, Tyldesley Urban District. was from 1894 to 1974 a local government district in Lancashire, England. In 1974 the urban district was abolished and its former area was transfered to the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan in Greater Manchester.
The high point of Rivington Moor in the West Pennine Moors is 1,496 feet high and has been the site of mining, a mass trespass, aeroplane disasters and murder.
The Winter Hill trespass in 1896 was organised when Colonel Ainsworth closed a track leading to Winter Hill denying the right of access to the local population.