Akroydon was a model village developed near Edward Akroyd’s Bankfield mansion in Haley Hill, Halifax in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The houses are in blocks of six to ten around the park in streets named after cathedral cities
Arthington Priory, founded in the mid-12th century, was a nunnery or convent that was home to a community of about ten nuns in Arthington, Yorkshire.
Shaft mounds and earthworks south of Bentley Grange Farm are the remains of a medieval iron mining site between Emley and West Bretton in West Yorkshire.
Bretton Hall is a country house on the north slope of the valley of the River Dearne in West Bretton near Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England.
Caphouse Colliery was a coal mine in Overton, near Wakefield, West Yorkshire, now the National Coal Mining Museum for England.
Castle Hill is a scheduled ancient monument overlooking Huddersfield in Kirklees, West Yorkshire.
The Chantry Chapel of St Mary the Virgin, usually known as Wakefield Chantry Chapel, is part of the medieval bridge over the River Calder in Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England.
A type of earthenware pottery manufactured in England in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Copley was a built as a model village by Colonel Edward Akroyd in the Calder Valley to the south of Halifax in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England.
Ringing the Devil’s Knell is a custom associated with Dewsbury Minster in West Yorkshire, England.
A steam-driven Newcomen-type atmospheric pumping engine still in its original engine house at Elsecar near Barnsley. Designed by John Bargh of Chesterfield, the engine, is based on one invented by Thomas Newcomen in 1712.
Emma Lister-Kaye (1825–1905) was a colliery owner in Overton near Wakefield in the West Riding of Yorkshire from 1871 until 1905.
The Halifax Gibbet was an early guillotine, or decapitating machine, used in the town of Halifax, West Yorkshire, England. It was probably installed during the 16th century as an alternative to beheading by axe or sword.
The Huskar Pit disaster occurred on 4 July 1838 when twenty-six boys and girls who were working underground were drowned by an overflowing stream.
John Blenkinsop (1783 – 22 January 1831) was a mining engineer at Charles Brandling’s Middleton Collieries who patented a rack and pinion system for a steam locomotive and commissioned the first practical railway locomotive from Fenton, Murray and Wood’s Round Foundry in Holbeck, Leeds in 1811.
A medieval nunnery associated with the legend of the death of Robin Hood.
Leeds has four Victorian shopping arcades built between 1878 and 1904. They are all listed buildings and still in use.
Six cloth halls have been built in Leeds since 1711, and the remains of two survive. Four were for white cloth, one for mixed or coloured cloth and one for cloth made by unapprenticed clothiers.
Pottery established in 1770 in Hunslet, South Leeds notable for intricate pierced creamware known as Leedsware.
Sixty-four people, mainly children, were drowned in the River Don in Masbrough, Yorkshire, on 5 July 1841 when the launch of a boat went wrong.
Matthew Murray was an engineer born in Newcastle on Tyne who became known for improving steam engines and building the first commercially successful steam locomotive.
Nostell Colliery on the South Yorkshire Coalfield, about four and a half miles south east of Wakefield was on the Nostell Priory estate.
A rare example of a large-scale cloth hall – an exchange for trading woollen and worsted cloth “pieces” – that is largely intact.
Small pot works were built in Potovens, a hamlet on the Wakefield Outwood now known as Wrenthorpe .
Potts of Leeds was founded in 1833. The company made domestic timepieces and expanded into the manufacture and repair of public clocks, based in Leeds, Yorkshire, England.
Red House was built in 1660 by William Taylor, whose descendants owned it until 1920. The Taylor family were farmers and clothiers, who developed their business into cloth finishing and became merchants.
The Rhubarb Triangle covers 9 square miles (23 km2) of West Yorkshire, England between Wakefield, Morley and Rothwell, and is famous for producing early forced rhubarb.
The Round Foundry was an engineering works off Water Lane in Holbeck, Leeds in Yorkshire. The complex was built for Fenton, Murray and Wood.
Salamanca, designed and built by Matthew Murray in 1812, was the world’s first commercially successful steam locomotive.
A ruined medieval castle in Sandal Magna, Wakefield in West Yorkshire, England. One of two castles built overlooking the River Calder, it was built by the Warrennes, the Earls of Surrey who were Lords of the Manor of Wakefield.
Scammonden Reservoir in the South Pennines supplies water to Huddersfield in West Yorkshire.
The Skelmanthorpe flag in Skelmanthorpe near Huddersfield in Yorkshire in 1819, to honour the victims of the Peterloo Massacre.
Wakefield’s Tammy Hall was a piece or cloth hall, a specialist market for selling worsted cloth. Paid for by subscription, the hall opened in 1778.
The Tankersley ironstone bed was named from its outcrop at Tankersley near Barnsley in South Yorkshire.
Tickle Cock Bridge is a pedestrian underpass in Castleford, England, under a railway line originally built by the York and North Midland Railway between York and Normanton.
The Victoria Tower on Castle Hill overlooking Huddersfield was constructed as a permanent memorial for Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.
Wakefield Castle, Lowe Hill or Lawe Hill was a fortification built in the 12th century on a hill on the north side of the River Calder near Wakefield, England.