Great Moreton Hall is a former country house in Moreton cum Alcumlow near Congleton, in Cheshire, England, less than a mile (1.6 km) from its better-known near namesake Little Moreton HallMoated half-timbered manor house 4.5 miles (7.2 km) southwest of Congleton in Cheshire, England, the earliest parts of which date from about 1504–1508.. Designed by Edward Blore, it was built in 1841 by Manchester businessman George Holland Ackers, to replace a large timber-framed building that had been the home of the Bellot family since 1602. The house is designed in the style of a Palladian villa, except that the Great Hall is one of a number of rooms off a large central space, rather than being at the centre of the building. Great Moreton Hall is built in two storeys, interspersed with three and four-storey towers. The service wing to the left of and adjoining the main part of the building is slightly lower than the rest of the structure.
The main entrance is via a broad flight of steps from a porte-cochèreA porte-cochère, from the French meaning "coach door", also known as a coach gate or carriage porch, is a covered porch-like structure at a main or secondary entrance to a building that gives access to a vehicle while providing arriving and departing occupants with protection from the elements. , leading to the entrance lobby and a large central hall. A triple arcade at one end of the hall leads to the main staircase, opposite a hooded fireplace decorated with the arms of the Ackers family. The Library, Drawing Room, Billiard Room, Saloon, and the Great Hall are arranged symmetrically around the central hall. “Dark narrow internal corridors” allowed the servants, whose quarters were in the cellars, to reach all the rooms without having to pass through the central hall.