James Caldwell Prestwich (1852–1940) J. C. Prestwich, was an English architect. He was born in Atherton, Lancashire and educated at Leigh and Nantwich Grammar Schools. He trained to be an architect in London and returned to Leigh in 1875 to start the architectural practice in which he worked until 1930 and which was continued by his son. He produced many buildings in Leigh and Nicholas Pevsner remarked that, “Any building of any merit (in Leigh) which is not a church or a mill is almost certainly by the local firm of J.C. Prestwich & Sons, capable – sometimes very capable – in a number of styles.”
Several of Prestwich’s buildings survive including the Central Buildings on Bradshawgate which were built for the Leigh Friendly Co-operative Society, Leigh Technical School and Library on Railway Road, Leigh Town HallLeigh Town Hall stands facing the parish church across the Civic Square at its junction with Market Street in Leigh, Greater Manchester, England. It was designed for the Municipal Borough of Leigh by James Caldwell Prestwich, who had an architectural practice in the town. , Leigh Infirmary and numerous shop, public house and business premises and houses in Pennington. Some buildings have been demolished including Leigh Public Baths and the Leigh Union workhouse hospital at Atherleigh. Prestwich designed other public buildings including Tyldesley Library and the town hall and schools in Atherton. Further afield he designed public baths in Stockport and Ashton-in-Makerfield, Southport, Birkdale and Hindley.
Prestwich was a fellow of the Manchester Society of Architects and practised until 1930. His son Harold joined the practice in 1908.