Rivington Castle in Lever ParkGrade II listed country park between Rivington in Lancashire and Horwich in Greater Manchester., Rivington, Lancashire is a replica of the ruins of the destroyed Liverpool Castle. The massive folly
Ornamental structure with no practical purpose, built to enhance a designed garden or landscape. was started in 1912 for Lord Leverhulme in the parkland he gave to his native town Bolton. The castle, built of squared gritstone in the Gothic style with triangular-headed arched doorways, remains unfinished. Its bailey is almost rectangular, it has a gatehouse on each side, circular corner towers and a great hall on the north side. The remains of a stone spiral staircase are at the north-west corner. The castle is the principal feature of Lever Park, which was laid out to T. H. MawsonEarly 20th-century garden designer, landscape architect and town planner.‘s design.
Lever had read about Liverpool Castle,[a]Liverpool Castle stood where the Queen Victoria Monument stands in Derby Square, and is marked by a plaque. and the description of its site struck him as being similar to Coblowe, a rocky area on his estate overlooking the Lower Rivington ReservoirThe Rivington Reservoir Chain, or Rivington Pike Scheme, was built for Liverpool Corporation Waterworks between 1850 and 1857 by Thomas Hawksley. . Lever decided Coblowe would be an ideal place to build a replica castle in its ruined state after the Civil War.
|Liverpool Castle stood where the Queen Victoria Monument stands in Derby Square, and is marked by a plaque.