St Clement’s is an active Anglican church in the Archdiocese of York. A Grade II listed building, it is situated just outside the city walls of York, England, south-west of the city centre.
There was a medieval church dedicated to Saint Clement, lying outside the York city walls, which gave its name to the suburb of Clementhorpe. In 1130 the Benedictine Nunnery of St Clement was founded, and the church was later recorded as forming part of the nunnery complex. The nunnery was dissolved in 1536, but the church remained in use until 1585, when its parish was merged into St Mary Bishophill Senior. The church fell into ruin, and in 1745 the remaining stone from the church was removed and used to repair the city walls.
St Clement’s was designed by J. B. & W. Atkinson, and constructed from 1872 to 1874. In 1876 it was given its own parish, and a vestryRoom in Christian churches for the storage of liturgical vestments, sacred vessels and parish records. was added in 1880. The church contains various fittings from the nearby St Mary Bishophill Senior, demolished 1963, including monuments and boards, two of which record the mayoralty of the architect John CarrProlific architect who worked mainly in the North of England, (1723–1807). of York, dated 1770 and 1785.
The church is constructed of red brick, with stone dressings and plinth and dark brick bands. It has angled buttresses, and a steep slate roof covering both naveCentral part of a church, used by the laiety. and chancelPart of a church containing the altar, used by the officiating clergy., topped by a small bell-coteShelter containing one or more bells.. The nave has side aisles, and the east end is in the form of an apseSemicircular or polygonal termination of the chancel, which is typically situated at the eastern end of a Christian church.. The windows are lancetsTall, narrow window typically associated with the Gothic architectural style., those at the east and west ends having three lights, with two-light windows either side. The stained glass in the east window was designed by Jean-Baptiste Capronnier in 1875. Inside, the arcades are of brick, with stone piers and detailed stone capitals. There is a circular stone font, and an octagonal stone pulpit. The choir stalls and screenScreen separating the chancel from the nave, typically in late medieval Christion churches. are later, and were designed by Robert Thompson.
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.