St George’s Colliery, known locally as Back o’t’ Church, was a coal mine on the Manchester CoalfieldThe Manchester Coalfield is part of the Lancashire Coalfield. Some easily accessible seams were worked on a small scale from the Middle Ages, and extensively from the beginning of the Industrial Revolution until the last quarter of the 20th century. that was sunk in 1866 in Tyldesley, Lancashire, England. The colliery was situated to the south of Tyldesley railway station on the Tyldesley Loopline and named after the nearby parish church.
The colliery’s two shafts were sunk to the Rams mine in 1866 by Astley and Tyldesley Coal and Salt CompanyThe Astley and Tyldesley Collieries Company was formed in 1900. It became part of Manchester Collieries in 1929, and some of its collieries were nationalised in 1947. to exploit the Middle Coal Measures of the Manchester Coalfield. The colliery was linked to Gin Pit Colliery for ventilation. A third shaft to the Trencherbone mine was sunk in 1884 and was subsequently deepened to the Arley mine. The colliery worked the Seven Foot until 1929.
The colliery became part of Manchester Collieries in 1929. Coal production ceased in 1941, but it was retained for ventilation purposes until 1964.