The National Review was a right-wing magazine supporting the Conservative Party, founded in 1883 by the English writers Alfred Austin and William Courthope, its first joint editors. It was initially funded by the Cecil Club, a secretive British dining club with close links to the Conservative Party, which survives in the form of the equally secretive United and Cecil Club today.
Admiral Frederick Maxse bought the magazine in 1893 and presented it to his son, Leopold James Maxse, who immediately replaced Alfred Austin as editor. Leopold was succeeded in that role following his death in 1932 by his sister, Violet Georgina Maxse, Lady Milner, who held the post for sixteen years.
- (1883–1887) Alfred Austin with William Courthope
- (1887–1893) Alfred Austin
- (1893–1932) Leopold Maxse
- (1932–1948) Violet Georgina Maxse
- (1948–1954) Edward Grigg
- (1954–1960) John Grigg