The Bolton and Leigh Railway (B&LR), Lancashire’s first public railway, was promoted as a mineral line in connection with William Hulton’s coal pits to the west of his estate at Over Hulton.
John Blenkinsop (1783 – 22 January 1831) was a mining engineer at Charles Brandling’s Middleton Collieries who patented a rack and pinion system for a steam locomotive and commissioned the first practical railway locomotive from Fenton, Murray and Wood’s Round Foundry in Holbeck, Leeds in 1811.
John Greenwood (1788–1851) was the keeper of a toll-gate in Pendleton on the Manchester to Liverpool turnpike, who In 1824 inaugurated the United Kingdom’s first omnibus service.
The Kenyon and Leigh Junction Railway (K&LJR) opened on 3 January 1831 linking the Bolton and Leigh Railway (B&LR), which terminated near the Leigh Branch of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, to the Liverpool and Manchester Railway (L&MR) at Kenyon.
The Lancashire Witch was built by Robert Stephenson and Company, and was a development of George Stephenson and Timothy Hackworth’s Locomotion No. 1.
The Leigh-Ellenbrook guided busway is part of the Leigh-Salford-Manchester bus rapid transit scheme in Greater Manchester, England. It provides transport connections between Leigh, Tyldesley and Ellenbrook and onwards to Manchester city centre on local roads.
The Manchester Carriage Company was established on 1 March 1865 to provide horse-drawn bus services throughout Manchester and Salford, in England.
The Manchester Suburban Tramways Company (MSTC) was incorporated in 1877 as the Manchester & Salford Tramway Company, to provide horse-drawn tram services throughout Manchester and Salford, in England.
Salamanca, designed and built by Matthew Murray in 1812, was the world’s first commercially successful steam locomotive.
The South Lancashire Tramways system of electric trams was authorised by the South Lancashire Tramways Act of 1900. The South Lancashire Tramways Company built more than 62 miles (100 km) of track to serve the towns in south Lancashire between St Helens, Swinton, Westhoughton and Hulton Lane where it met the Bolton Corporation system.
Standedge has been a major Pennine crossing point for more than 2,000 years.
The Tyldesley Loopline, built by the London and North Western Railway, was primarily used to carry coal from local collieries. Closed in 1969, part of the track bed has been converted to a guided busway.
William Henry Gaunt (born in Bradford, Yorkshire, 13 January 1874 – 31 October 1951) was an English transport engineer who began his working life developing and building gas-powered trams.
An extensive network of underground canals that drained the Duke of Bridgewater’s coal pits emerge into the open at the Delph in Worsley, Greater Manchester.