The initial incarnation of The Schoolgirl, a story paper for girls, was published by Shurey’s Publications of London. It ran for only 56 weekly issues from 21 February 1922 until 13 March 1923, but the title was revived by Amalgamated Press in August 1929. The comic continued until May 1940, when paper rationing introduced during the Second World War resulted in its merger with Girls Crystal. During its run of 564 issues The Schoolgirl itself had merged with Schooldays in May 1931 and The Schoolgirls OwnThe Schoolgirls' Own was a British weekly story paper aimed at girls. Published by Amalgamated Press, it was launched in February 1921 and ran for 798 issues until May 1936. in May 1936.
Most stories centred on the girls and staff of Cliff House School, a fictional establishment in Kent, on a cliff top overlooking the sea. Cliff House was the sister school of Greyfriars, where Billy Bunter was educated, and had its own equivalent, his sister Bessie Bunter. Many of the titles were written by Charles Hamilton, under the pen name of Hilda Richards.