See caption
Mine boat in Worsley dry dock
Source: Wikimedia Commons

The dry docks behind Worsley Green in Worsley, Greater Manchester, built by John Gilbert and James Brindley in about 1761 on the Bridgewater Canal, are probably the earliest extant example on Britain’s canals.

The Grade II listed pair of dry docks have hammer-dressed stone retaining walls and wooden sluice gates. The docks were covered by timber and iron sheds with bow-string roof trusses on iron posts in the 19th century; a third dock has been filled in.[1][2]

Mine boatsBoats built to transport coal from the Duke of Bridgewater's pits in Worsley used on the Bridgewater Canal and underground levelsAn extensive network of underground canals that drained the Duke of Bridgewater's coal pits emerge into the open at the Delph in Worsley, Greater Manchester. were built and repaired here.

Citations



Bibliography


Ashmore, O. (1982). The Industrial archaeology of North-west England. Manchester University Press.
NHLE. (n.d.). Dry Docks behind Worsley Green. National Historic List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1215143