St John’s Church is an Anglican church in Mosley Common, Greater Manchester. It is an active church built in 1886 and part of Leigh deanery in the archdeaconry of Salford, diocese of Manchester. Together with St George’sA Waterloo church dedicated to St George completed in 1825 to serve the growing township of Tyldesley cum Shakerley. and St Stephen’s Churches, it is part of the united benefice of Astley, Tyldesley and Mosley Common.
Worship in Mosley Common took place in the school, which operated as a mission of Ellenbrook Chapel from the early 1800s. In 1885 subscribers contributed £4,250 to build the church, a chapel of ease on a site donated by the Bridgewater TrusteesA coal mining company on the Lancashire Coalfield with headquarters in Walkden near Manchester.. The subscribers included the Earl of Ellesmere, Lord Lilford, Mrs Harrison of Chaddock Hall and Henry Yates. The church’s foundation stone was laid by the Countess of Ellesmere on 14 February 1885.
The church was built in 1886 as a chapel of ease[a]A chapel of ease or daughter church is an additional Anglican church other than the parish church within a parish. to the parish church in Tyldesley. Mosley Common was made into a separate parish in 1894. The Bishop of Manchester consecrated the church in 1895, when the Earl of Ellesmere provided money to establish an endowment.
The church is constructed in Yorkshire freestone in the neo-Gothic style with a chancel, naveCentral part of a church, used by the laiety. and aisles. The bells were the gift of John Higham of Swinton, and his wife contributed the lectern. Mrs Harrison gave the font, Mrs Whitehead the reredosA large ornamented wall, screen, or other structure placed behind the altar in a Christian church., and Mrs Brown the pulpit.
|^a||A chapel of ease or daughter church is an additional Anglican church other than the parish church within a parish.|