Akroydon was a model village developed near Edward Akroyd’s Bankfield mansion in Haley Hill, Halifax in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The houses are in blocks of six to ten around the park in streets named after cathedral cities
Ancoats Hall was a post-medieval country house built in 1609 in Ancoats, Manchester by Oswald Mosley, a member of the family who were Lords of the Manor of Manchester.
Andrew Knowles and Sons was a coal mining company that operated on the Manchester Coalfield in and around Clifton, in the historic county of Lancashire, England.
A sparsely populated civil parish near Chorley in Lancashire with no village, just scattered farms and the hamlet of White Coppice.
Arthington Priory, founded in the mid-12th century, was a nunnery or convent that was home to a community of about ten nuns in Arthington, Yorkshire.
Astley and Bedford Mosses are areas of peat bog south of the Bridgewater Canal and north of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway in Astley and Bedford, Leigh, England.
The Astley and Tyldesley Collieries Company was formed in 1900. It became part of Manchester Collieries in 1929, and some of its collieries were nationalised in 1947.
Atherton Hall was a country house and estate in Atherton in Lancashire, England, built between 1723 and 1742
Atherton Urban District was from 1894 to 1974 a local government district in Lancashire, England.
Bank Hall Colliery was a coal mine near the Leeds and Liverpool Canal in Burnley, Lancashire.
Barnfield Mills, locally known as ”Caleb Wright’s”, was a complex of six cotton spinning mills on either side of Union Street in Tyldesley.
Barrow Bridge is a model village started by John and Robert Lord who built a cotton mill next to the Dean Brook in the north-west outskirts of Bolton in Greater Manchester, England.
The Barton Aqueduct, designed by James Brindley and opened on 17 July 1761, carried the Bridgewater Canal over the River Irwell at Barton-upon-Irwell, in the historic county of Lancashire, England.
The Barton Swing Aqueduct in Barton upon Irwell, Greater Manchester, England carries the Bridgewater Canal across the Manchester Ship Canal.
The Battle of Howe Bridge took place on 4 February 1881 against the background of an acrimonious strike by 50,000 miners from pits on the Lancashire coalfield that was characterised by mobs of miners picketing working pits.
Beeston Castle in Beeston, Cheshire, England was built in the 1220s by Ranulf de Blondeville, 6th Earl of Chester, (1170–1232), on his return from the Fifth Crusade.
Belle Vue Zoological Gardens was a large zoo, amusement park, exhibition hall complex and speedway stadium in Belle Vue, Manchester, England, opened in 1836.
Belmont Hall is an 18th-century country house one mile northwest of the village of Great Budworth, Cheshire, England. It has been in the possession of the Leigh family for more than 200 years.
Shaft mounds and earthworks south of Bentley Grange Farm are the remains of a medieval iron mining site between Emley and West Bretton in West Yorkshire.
Blackstone Edge is a gritstone escarpment at 1,549 feet above sea level in the South Pennine hills.
Boggart Hole Clough is a large woodland area and country park in Greater Manchester, what remains of an ancient woodland.
Boothstown Mines Rescue Station, which served the collieries of the Lancashire and Cheshire Coal Owners on the Lancashire Coalfield, opened in November 1933 on a site in Boothstown, close to the East Lancashire Road (A580).
Borley Rectory was a Victorian house that gained fame as “the most haunted house in England” after being described as such by psychic researcher Harry Price.
Bradford Colliery was a coal mine in Bradford, Manchester, England.
Bradford Colliery Brickworks operated on the site of the Bradford Colliery in Bradford, Greater Manchester, then in the historic county of Lancashire, England,
Bretton Hall is a country house on the north slope of the valley of the River Dearne in West Bretton near Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England.
A coal mining company on the Lancashire Coalfield with headquarters in Walkden near Manchester.
A categorisation of UK census data that corresponds more closely to the traditional towns, villages and cities that people associate with where they live than do the administrative boundaries.
Burning wells were a phenomenon known in the area around Wigan in Lancashire from at least the 17th century.
The Burnley Coalfield surrounding Burnley, Nelson, Blackburn and Accrington, is the most northerly portion of the Lancashire Coalfield.
he Calder and Hebble Navigation, which made the River Calder navigable between Sowerby Bridge and Wakefield in the West Riding of Yorkshire, was constructed between 1758 and 1834. It is 27 miles (43 km) long and had two branch canals, the extant Dewsbury arm and another to Halifax that is now disused. The navigation begins
Caphouse Colliery was a coal mine in Overton, near Wakefield, West Yorkshire, now the National Coal Mining Museum for England.
The Capitol Theatre was a cinema in Didsbury, Manchester later used as television studios by ITV contractor ABC from 1956 to 1968.
Carrington Moss is a large area of peat bog near Carrington in Greater Manchester, England. Originally an area of grouse moorland, it was reclaimed in the latter half of the 19th for farming and the disposal of Manchester’s waste.
Castle Hill is a scheduled ancient monument overlooking Huddersfield in Kirklees, West Yorkshire.
Pit sunk around 1820 by the Bridgewater Trustees that was connected to the Bridgewater Canal at Boothstown Basin by an underground canal.
The Chantry Chapel of St Mary the Virgin, usually known as Wakefield Chantry Chapel, is part of the medieval bridge over the River Calder in Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England.
Chat Moss is a large area of peat bog that makes up 30 per cent of the City of Salford, in Greater Manchester, England.
Cheetham Close, a hill in the West Pennine Moors above Turton in Lancashire, is the site of an ancient stone circle.
A relatively flat expanse of lowland in North West England, the surface expression of the Cheshire Basin, an area of sedimentary rocks overlain by Mercia Mudstones laid down about 250 million years ago.
An active Unitarian place of worship in Atherton, Greater Manchester that was built in 1721.
Chysauster is an ancient settlement and scheduled monument on the upper slopes of the Carnaquidden Downs in the Penwith District of southwest Cornwall in England.
A type of earthenware pottery manufactured in England in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Cleworth Hall Colliery on the Lancashire Coalfield operated between 1880 and 1963 in Tyldesley, Lancashire, England.
Combermere Colliery was sunk by the Tyldesley Coal Company on the Manchester Coalfield after 1867 in Shakerley, Tyldesley in Lancashire, England.
Copley was a built as a model village by Colonel Edward Akroyd in the Calder Valley to the south of Halifax in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England.
The nickname given to Manchester, the world’s first industrial city, a metropolis centred on cotton trading.
Crathes Castle, in Aberdeenshire, Scotland is a classic Scottish tower house, built in the 16th century.
Creswell Model Village is an arts and crafts style model industrial settlement in Creswell in the parish of Elmton-with-Creswell in the Bolsover district in northeast Derbyshire.
Damhouse or Astley Hall is a Grade II* Listed building in Tyldesley but considered to be in Astley, Greater Manchester, England. It has served as a manor house, sanatorium, and, since restoration in 2000, houses offices, a clinic and tearooms.
Ringing the Devil’s Knell is a custom associated with Dewsbury Minster in West Yorkshire, England.
One of several villages in the Saddleworth parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham, in Greater Manchester
Dovestone and its associated reservoirs occupy the valleys of the Greenfield and Chew Brooks above the village of Greenfield, on Saddleworth Moor in Greater Manchester.
A stately home on the Dunecht estate in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
Edward Ormerod (2 May 1834 – 26 May 1894) was an English mining engineer and inventor who worked at Gibfield Colliery in Atherton, Lancashire where he devised and tested his safety device, the Ormerod safety link or detaching hook.
Ellesmere Colliery in Walkden, on the Lancashire Coalfield, was sunk in 1865 by the Bridgewater Trustees. Production ended in 1923.
Historic ruined castle remains, formerly Fortalice of Ardgith, focal point within a formal walled garden in Ellon
A steam-driven Newcomen-type atmospheric pumping engine still in its original engine house at Elsecar near Barnsley. Designed by John Bargh of Chesterfield, the engine, is based on one invented by Thomas Newcomen in 1712.
Emma Lister-Kaye (1825–1905) was a colliery owner in Overton near Wakefield in the West Riding of Yorkshire from 1871 until 1905.
Epworth Rectory in Epworth, Lincolnshire, also known as the Old Rectory, is the site of supposed paranormal events that occurred in 1716.
Fairbottom Bobs, an 18th-century Newcomen-type beam engine, was used to pump water from a coal pit near Ashton-under-Lyne, is probably the world’s second-oldest surviving steam engine.
Fletcher, Burrows & Company owned collieries and cotton mills in Atherton in northwest England. Gibfield, Howe Bridge and Chanters Collieries exploited the coal seams of the Middle Coal Measures in the Manchester Coalfield.
A fogou (or fougou) is an underground passage or tunnel constructed in the Iron Age by digging trenches and lining the sides with drystone walling.
A mansion house that forms the centrepiece of the Forglen estate in the parish of Forglen, northwest of Turriff, Aberdeenshire, in the northeast of Scotland.
The Free Trade Hall in Peter Street, Manchester, England, was a public hall constructed in 1853–1856 on St Peter’s Fields, the site of the Peterloo Massacre, and is now a Radisson hotel.
Garrett Hall or the Garrett is a former manor house and now a grade II listed farmhouse in Tyldesley, Greater Manchester, England.
George Marsh, a Protestant priest who became a martyr, was born in the parish of Deane near Bolton in 1515. He died at Boughton, Chester, on 24 April 1555 as a result of the Marian Persecutions during the reign of Queen Mary I.
Gin Pit was a colliery that operated on the Lancashire Coalfield from the 1840s in Tyldesley Lancashire, England.
A tract of moorland more than 700 feet above sea level gave its name to Grange Moor, a residential village.
Great Boys Colliery in Tyldesley was a coal mine operating on the Manchester Coalfield in the second half of the 19th century in Lancashire, England.
The Great County Adit is a system of underground tunnels that drained tin and copper mines between Redruth and Bissoe in west Cornwall.
The Great Flat Lode is a large ore-bearing body of rock under the southern slopes of Carn Brea, south of Camborne in Cornwall, England.
The Great Haigh Sough is a tunnel or adit driven under Sir Roger Bradshaigh’s Haigh Hall estate between 1653 and 1670, to drain his coal and cannel pits.
Great Moreton Hall is a former country house in Moreton cum Alcumlow near Congleton, in Cheshire, England, less than a mile (1.6 km) from its better-known near namesake Little Moreton Hall.
Gropecunt Lane was a street name found in English towns and cities during the Middle Ages, believed to be a reference to the prostitution centred on those areas; it was normal practice for a medieval street name to reflect the street’s function or the economic activity taking place within it.
Once a London street famous for its low-end publishers and hack writers, Grub Street has become a pejorative term for impoverished writers and works of low literary value.
An ironworks and foundry in Haigh near Wigan that was notable for the manufacture of steam engines.
Haigh Hall is a historic country house in Haigh, near Wigan in Greater Manchester England.
The Halifax Gibbet was an early guillotine, or decapitating machine, used in the town of Halifax, West Yorkshire, England. It was probably installed during the 16th century as an alternative to beheading by axe or sword.
The Hanging Bridge is a medieval structure spanning the Hanging Ditch, which connected the rivers Irk and Irwell in Manchester, England, part of the city’s medieval defences.
Haydock Collieries comprised several pits, some started in the 18th century, on land owned by the Leghs of Lyme around Haydock on the Lancashire Coalfield in north-west England.
A local nature reserve and ancient common in York
Hollingworth Lake was built as the main water source for the Rochdale Canal.
A built-up area and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East.
A suburb of Atherton in Greater Manchester, built as a model mining village in the 1870s by the Fletchers
Howe Bridge Mines Rescue Station, the first on the Lancashire Coalfield, opened in 1908 in Lovers Lane Howe Bridge, Atherton, Lancashire, England.
The Hulme Arch Bridge in Hulme, Manchester, England, supports Stretford Road as it passes over Princess Road, part of the regeneration of that area of Manchester.
Hulme Hall was a half-timbered manor house on the banks of the River Irwell in Manchester, demolished in about 1840.
The Hulton Colliery Company operated on the Lancashire Coalfield from the mid-19th century in Over Hulton and Westhoughton, Lancashire.
The Huskar Pit disaster occurred on 4 July 1838 when twenty-six boys and girls who were working underground were drowned by an overflowing stream.
Inchcape or the Bell Rock is a reef about eleven miles (18 km) off the east coast of Angus, Scotland, near Dundee and Fife, occupied by the Bell Rock Lighthouse. The name Inchcape comes from the Scottish Gaelic Innis Sgeap, meaning “Beehive isle”, probably comparing the shape of the reef to old-style skep beehives.
A 16th-century tower house in the parish of Banff, Aberdeenshire, in the northeast of Scotland.
Irlam is a built-up area in the City of Salford, Greater Manchester, England,lying on flat ground on the south side of the M62 motorway and the north bank of the Manchester Ship Canal.
John Blenkinsop (1783 – 22 January 1831) was a mining engineer at Charles Brandling’s Middleton Collieries who patented a rack and pinion system for a steam locomotive and commissioned the first practical railway locomotive from Fenton, Murray and Wood’s Round Foundry in Holbeck, Leeds in 1811.
The Kenyon and Leigh Junction Railway (K&LJR) opened on 3 January 1831 linking the Bolton and Leigh Railway (B&LR), which terminated near the Leigh Branch of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, to the Liverpool and Manchester Railway (L&MR) at Kenyon.
A medieval nunnery associated with the legend of the death of Robin Hood.
Leeds has four Victorian shopping arcades built between 1878 and 1904. They are all listed buildings and still in use.
Six cloth halls have been built in Leeds since 1711, and the remains of two survive. Four were for white cloth, one for mixed or coloured cloth and one for cloth made by unapprenticed clothiers.
Pottery established in 1770 in Hunslet, South Leeds notable for intricate pierced creamware known as Leedsware.
Leigh Spinners or Leigh Mill is a Grade II* listed double cotton spinning mill near the Bridgewater Canal in Bedford, Leigh, England.
Leigh Town Hall stands facing the parish church across the Civic Square at its junction with Market Street in Leigh, Greater Manchester, England. It was designed for the Municipal Borough of Leigh by James Caldwell Prestwich, who had an architectural practice in the town.
Little Moreton Hall is a moated half-timbered manor house 4.5 miles (7.2 km) southwest of Congleton in Cheshire, England.
Longford Cinema, opposite Stretford Mall on the eastern side of the A56 Chester Road, is perhaps the most visually striking building in the town.
Magee Marshall & Company operated from the Crown Brewery in Bolton, Lancashire, England from 1888 until being taken over by Greenall Whitley in 1958.
Malkin Tower was the home of Elizabeth Southerns, also known as Demdike, and her granddaughter Alizon Device, two of the chief protagonists in the Lancashire witch trials of 1612.
The Manchester Blitz (also known as the Christmas Blitz) was the heavy bombing of the city of Manchester and its surrounding areas in North West England during the Second World War by the Nazi German Luftwaffe.
The Manchester Coalfield is part of the Lancashire Coalfield. Some easily accessible seams were worked on a small scale from the Middle Ages, and extensively from the beginning of the Industrial Revolution until the last quarter of the 20th century.
Redirected to Salford Quays.
The Manchester Free Library opened on 5 September 1852 in Manchester, England. It was the first to be set up under the provisions of the Public Libraries Act 1850, which allowed local authorities to impose a local tax of one penny to pay for the service.
Hannah Beswick (1688 – February 1758), of Birchin Bower, Hollinwood, Oldham, Lancashire, was a wealthy woman who had a pathological fear of premature burial. Following her death in 1758 her body was embalmed and kept above ground, to be periodically checked for signs of life.
The Manchester Royal Exchange, on the land bounded by St Ann’s Square, Exchange Street, Market Street, Cross Street and Old Bank Street comprises the Royal Exchange Theatre and the Royal Exchange Shopping Centre.
The Manchester Zoological Gardens opened in 1838, on a 15-acre (6 ha) site between Broom Lane and Northumberland Street in Broughton, now in Salford, England.
Sixty-four people, mainly children, were drowned in the River Don in Masbrough, Yorkshire, on 5 July 1841 when the launch of a boat went wrong.
Mather Lane Mills was a complex of cotton mills built by the Bridgewater Canal in Bedford, Leigh in Lancashire, England.
Matthew Murray was an engineer born in Newcastle on Tyne who became known for improving steam engines and building the first commercially successful steam locomotive.
The Maud Foster Windmill is a seven-storey, five-sail tower mill close to the Maud Foster Drain, from which she is named, in Skirbeck, Boston, Lincolnshire.
Mining disasters in Lancashire in which five or more people were killed occurred most frequently in the 1850s, 1860s and 1870s.
A model village is a type of mostly self-contained community, built from the late 18th century onwards by landowners and industrialists to house their workers.
Morleys Hall, a moated hall converted into two houses on the edge of Astley Moss in Astley, Greater Manchester, England, was largely rebuilt in the 19th century on the site of a medieval timber house.
The Municipal Borough of Leigh, a local government district in Lancashire, England, was created in 1899 and abolished in 1974.
The Municipal Borough of Stretford was created in 1933 and abolished in 1974. The area it controlled is now part of the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford in Greater Manchester.
New Bolsover is a model village adjoining the town of Bolsover in Derbyshire, built by the local colliery company to house its workers.
New Hall moat is a scheduled monument in Tyldesley, Greater Manchester, England. The monument includes a moat and an island platform on which a modern house has been built.
New Lester Colliery on the Manchester Coalfield was opened after 1872 by James and William Roscoe in Tyldesley, Lancashire, England.
A formerly isolated mining community at the extreme eastern end of the Tyldesley township.
Nico Ditch is a linear earthwork between Ashton-under-Lyne and Stretford in Greater Manchester, England.
Nook Colliery or Nook Pit was a coal mine on the Manchester Coalfield after 1866 in Tyldesley, Lancashire, England.
Noon Hill is an area of the West Pennine Moors in North West England. At its summit is a Bronze Age burial mound.
Nostell Colliery on the South Yorkshire Coalfield, about four and a half miles south east of Wakefield was on the Nostell Priory estate.
Ordsall Hall is a large former manor house in the historic parish of Ordsall, Lancashire, England, now part of the City of Salford, in Greater Manchester.
Peg o’ Nell is the malevolent water spirit of the River Ribble in Lancashire.
Pendleton Colliery operated on the Manchester Coalfield from the late 1820s. It was a major employer but was subject to water ingress, which ultimately bankrupted its owner.
A lake formed by mining subsidence in Leigh, Greater Manchester, the largest body of open water in Wigan.
A rare example of a large-scale cloth hall – an exchange for trading woollen and worsted cloth “pieces” – that is largely intact.
A French Impressionist painter who taught at the Manchester School of Art from 1906 until 1920.
The Pitfour estate, in the Buchan area of north-east Scotland, was purchased in 1700 by James Ferguson of Badifurrow, who became the first Laird of Pitfour.
The estate was substantially renovated by him and the following two generations of his family. At the height of its development in the 18th and 19th centuries the property had several extravagant features including a two-mile racecourse, an artificial lake and an observatory.
The Port of Manchester in North West England was created as a customs port on 1 January 1894 and closed in 1982.
Small pot works were built in Potovens, a hamlet on the Wakefield Outwood now known as Wrenthorpe .
Potts of Leeds was founded in 1833. The company made domestic timepieces and expanded into the manufacture and repair of public clocks, based in Leeds, Yorkshire, England.
Ramsden’s Shakerley Collieries was a coal mining company operating from the mid-19th century in Shakerley, Tyldesley in Lancashire, England.
Red House was built in 1660 by William Taylor, whose descendants owned it until 1920. The Taylor family were farmers and clothiers, who developed their business into cloth finishing and became merchants.
The Rhubarb Triangle covers 9 square miles (23 km2) of West Yorkshire, England between Wakefield, Morley and Rothwell, and is famous for producing early forced rhubarb.
Rivington is a village in the Borough of Chorley, to the northwest of Bolton on the fringe of the West Pennine Moors.
An active Anglican parish church and Grade II listed building in Rivington, Lancashire
Rivington Gardens cover about 45 acres of the steep west-facing slopes of Rivington Moor at the edge of the West Pennine Moors in Lancashire.
A Grade II* listed former manor house in Rivington, Lancashire, England, the successor to a 15th-century building that was built near to the present building.
A hill summit on Winter Hill, part of the West Pennine Moors, overlooking the village of Rivington in Lancashire, England.
The Rivington Reservoir Chain, or Rivington Pike Scheme, was built for Liverpool Corporation Waterworks between 1850 and 1857 by Thomas Hawksley.
An active place of Unitarian worship in Rivington, Lancashire whose congregation dates from 1662 but the stone not built until 1703.
The Round Foundry was an engineering works off Water Lane in Holbeck, Leeds in Yorkshire. The complex was built for Fenton, Murray and Wood.
Roundwood is a wooded peninsula on the River Fal in Cornwall, where there is evidence of occupation and settlement since at least the Iron Age.
A civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham in Greater Manchester that was in Yorkshire until government reorganisation in 1974.
Salamanca, designed and built by Matthew Murray in 1812, was the world’s first commercially successful steam locomotive.
Redirected to Salford Quays.
Salford Quays is an area of Salford, Greater Manchester, England at the terminus of the Manchester Ship Canal. Previously the site of Manchester Docks, also known as Salford Docks, it became one of the first and largest urban regeneration projects in the United Kingdom following the closure of the dockyards in 1982.
A ruined medieval castle in Sandal Magna, Wakefield in West Yorkshire, England. One of two castles built overlooking the River Calder, it was built by the Warrennes, the Earls of Surrey who were Lords of the Manor of Wakefield.
A Pennine village that was flooded in the 1960s when Scammonden Dam and the M62 trans-Pennine motorway were constructed
Scammonden Reservoir in the South Pennines supplies water to Huddersfield in West Yorkshire.
Sharston Hall was a manor house built in Sharston, an area of Wythenshawe, Manchester, England, in 1701.
An ancient township of four villages that was renamed Sitlington in 1929
The Skelmanthorpe flag in Skelmanthorpe near Huddersfield in Yorkshire in 1819, to honour the victims of the Peterloo Massacre.
Smithills Hall in Bolton, Greater Manchester, is one of the oldest manor houses in the northwest of England, dating in parts from the 15th century.
A copper and tin mine to the south of Camborne in Cornwall named after the mineral lord, Lady Frances Basset
A Waterloo church dedicated to St George completed in 1825 to serve the growing township of Tyldesley cum Shakerley.
St George’s Colliery, known locally as Back o’t’ Church, was a coal mine on the Manchester Coalfield that was sunk in 1866 in Tyldesley, Lancashire, England.
Anglican parish Church in Atherton, Greater Manchester designed by Paley and Ausin and completed in 1896
An active church in Mosley Common that was built in 1886.
An active Anglican parish church in Worsley, Greater Manchester with an unusual thirteen-striking clock.
St Mary’s Church in Leigh was the ancient parish church that served six townships.
An active Anglican church in Perranarworthal dedicated to Cornwall’s patron saint.
The parish church in Astley, Greater Manchester was built in 1968 after its predecessor was destroyed by arson.
Standedge has been a major Pennine crossing point for more than 2,000 years.
Stretford Public Hall was built in 1878 by John Rylands.
Wakefield’s Tammy Hall was a piece or cloth hall, a specialist market for selling worsted cloth. Paid for by subscription, the hall opened in 1778.
The Tankersley ironstone bed was named from its outcrop at Tankersley near Barnsley in South Yorkshire.
A mysterious cloud of mist that often hovered over the Cowloe Rock, near Sennen Cove in Cornwall, warning of approaching bad weather.
The Walking Horse, Lancashire’s first steam locomotive, was built by Robert Daglish in 1812 at the Haigh Foundry for colliery owner, John Clarke and it entered service the following year.
Thomas Hayton Mawson (1861–1933) was an early 20-century garden designer, landscape architect and town planner.
Sir Thomas Tyldesley (1612 – 25 August 1651) was a supporter of Charles I and a Royalist commander during the English Civil War.
Tickle Cock Bridge is a pedestrian underpass in Castleford, England, under a railway line originally built by the York and North Midland Railway between York and Normanton.
Timperley Hall was a moated manor house in Timperley, Greater Manchester, England, first recorded in 1560, but almost certainly built to replace an earlier medieval structure.
Trafford Ecology Park is a designated Site of Biological Importance and Local Nature Reserve in Trafford, Greater Manchester.
A former manor house incorporating a pele tower in Turton, Lancashire.
Tyldesley Little Theatre is a small “back street” theatre in Lemon Street, Tyldesley, Greater Manchester, England.
The Tyldesley Loopline, built by the London and North Western Railway, was primarily used to carry coal from local collieries. Closed in 1969, part of the track bed has been converted to a guided busway.
Tyldesley cum Shakerley Urban District and its successor, Tyldesley Urban District. was from 1894 to 1974 a local government district in Lancashire, England. In 1974 the urban district was abolished and its former area was transfered to the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan in Greater Manchester.
In the 18th and 19th centuries body-snatchers, also known as resurrectionists, shush-lifters or noddies, excavated graves to meet the increasing demand from medical colleges for bodies to dissect, as not enough were being supplied from executions.
A series of bricked-up arches in an embankment of the River Irwell in Manchester. They served as business premises, landing stages for steam packet riverboats and as Second World War air-raid shelters.
The Victoria Tower on Castle Hill overlooking Huddersfield was constructed as a permanent memorial for Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.
Wakefield Castle, Lowe Hill or Lawe Hill was a fortification built in the 12th century on a hill on the north side of the River Calder near Wakefield, England.
Wallsuches Bleachworks takes its name from an area of Horwich in Greater Manchester, England. The area is notable for the bleachworks started by Thomas Ridgway.
Wharton Hall Colliery was in Little Hulton on the Lancashire Coalfield in Lancashire, north west England.
The high point of Rivington Moor in the West Pennine Moors is 1,496 feet high and has been the site of mining, a mass trespass, aeroplane disasters and murder.
The Winter Hill trespass in 1896 was organised when Colonel Ainsworth closed a track leading to Winter Hill denying the right of access to the local population.
The earliest extant example of dry docks on Britain’s canals.
An extensive network of underground canals that drained the Duke of Bridgewater’s coal pits emerge into the open at the Delph in Worsley, Greater Manchester.
Worsley’s third manor house, New Hall was built in 1846 to designs by Edward Blore for Francis Egerton, 1st Earl of Ellesmere.
Worthington Hall is an Elizabethan farm house on Chorley Lane in Wigan, Manchester, England. An inscription on a lintel in the gabled porch dates the building to 1577.
Yew Tree Colliery was a coal mine operating on the Manchester Coalfield after 1845 in Tyldesley, which was then in the historic county of Lancashire, England.