Ellenbrook is a residential suburb of Worsley in the City of Salford in Greater Manchester, England. It is 6.8 miles (10.9 km) west of Manchester, 5 miles (8 km) west of Salford and 4.6 miles (7.4 km) south of Bolton. Historically Ellenbrook was in Lancashire.
Ellenbrook was a chapelry with the only place of worship in Worsley until St Mark’s ChurchActive Anglican parish church in Worsley, Greater Manchester with an unusual thirteen-striking clock. was built. Its shallow coal pits became important at the start of the Industrial Revolution, contributing to the wealth of the Duke of Bridgewater and his successors. It had a station on the Manchester to Wigan Railway, and now has a stop on the guided busway The Leigh-Ellenbrook guided busway is part of the Leigh-Salford-Manchester bus rapid transit scheme in Greater Manchester, England. It provides transport connections between Leigh, Tyldesley and Ellenbrook and onwards to Manchester city centre on local roads. .
House building has turned the village into a residential suburb, with links to the East Lancashire Road and the M60 motorway.
Geography and Geology
Ellenbrook, a suburb of Worsley, is between the line of the Tyldesley LooplineRailway line built in 1864 to connect local collieries to the Liverpool–Manchester main line. and the East Lancashire Road (A580). Its western boundary with New ManchesterFormerly isolated mining community at the extreme eastern end of the Tyldesley township. is east of City Road and south of Bridgewater Road. Mosley Common is to the west, Boothstown to the South and Walkden to the north-east. The B5232 passes through linking Walkden to the A580.
The Leigh-Ellenbrook guided busway The Leigh-Ellenbrook guided busway is part of the Leigh-Salford-Manchester bus rapid transit scheme in Greater Manchester, England. It provides transport connections between Leigh, Tyldesley and Ellenbrook and onwards to Manchester city centre on local roads. , part of a fast bus route between Leigh and Manchester, starts near Newearth Road and follows the line of the former Tyldesley Loopline to Leigh via Tyldesley. The M60 motorway is to the east and the Bridgewater Canal and Chat MossLarge area of peat bog that makes up 30 per cent of the City of Salford, in Greater Manchester, England. are to the south.
Ellenbrook lies on the Middle Coal Measures of the Manchester Coalfield where coal seams are interspersed with sandstones, mudstones, shales and fireclays.
The origin of the first element of the name Ellenbrook is unknown, but the second element is from the Old English broc, a brook or stream. It is situated by a boundary stream, the Ellen Brook.
The Roman road From Wigan to Manchester ran through Shakerley and Tyldesley and south west across the boundary stream midway between Keeper Delph[a]a quarry and Ellenbrook ChapelActive Anglican church of ancient foundation..
Facing the church, an ancient stone, now defaced, marked the boundary between the Hundreds of Salford and West Derby, the boundary between Eccles and Leigh ancient parishes, the Tyldesley, Worsley and Little Hulton townshipsDivision of an ecclesiastical parish that had civil functions. and now the metropolitan districts of Wigan and Salford.
Sometime between 1272 and 1295 the Rector of Eccles granted a licence to Richard de Worsley to have a chantry chapel provided 6 pence was paid annually as oblations. Whether this chapel was in Ellenbrook or elsewhere is not known. The Commonwealth surveyors recommended that Ellenbrook Chapel should have a parish assigned to it in 1650. The old chapel was demolished and the new church was built in brick in 1725. Restoration in the 1860s was funded by the 2nd Earl of Ellesmere who died before it was complete. The chapel’s organ, a memorial to the Earl, dates from this time. The church is built in the Norman style and now is a Grade II Listed building.
At the start of the Industrial Revolution, the Duke of Bridgewater owned small shallow coal pits at Crookes Meadow, Grundy Common and Clays before 1770. Common, Swiney Lane and Millhough were shafts opened between 1810 and 1820. In the 1830s a horse-drawn tramwayA tramway built by the Bridgewater Trustees in the 1830s to transport coal to the Bridgewater Canal. connected the Bridgewater Trustees’ pits north of Ellenbrook at New Manchester with the Bridgewater Canal at Boothstown basin.
In 1861 the London and North Western Railway revived powers granted to the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway to build the Tyldesley Loopline and built a railway station at Ellenbrook. Mosley Common Colliery was developed adjacent to the village.
Since the demise of the coal industry, Ellenbrook has developed into a residential area with few facilities and employment opportunities.
From the 11th century, the chapelry of Ellenbrook was part of the Worsley township in the ancient parish of Eccles in the Salford HundredAdministrative subdivision of a shire. of Lancashire. Boothstown and Ellenbrook has been a ward of Salford City Council since 1974, and is part of the UK parliamentary constituency of Worsley and Eccles South.