Chigwell Hall is a Grade II listed manor house in Chigwell, Essex, designed by Richard Norman Shaw, his only house in Essex. It was completed in 1896 for Alfred Savill, founder of the Savill’s estate agency, and has been owned by the Metropolitan Police Service since 1967, serving as its sports and social club. The house is also used for business functions and weddings.
Chigwell is a large two-storey red brick house with attics, built to a square floor plan with a service range to the west. The hipped roof with bargeboards and weatherboarding is tiled.
The architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner describes the house as “especially good, surprising in its freshness and looking as it might well [had it been built] twenty-five years later”.